Friday, June 11, 2010

Yaowa!

From Urban Dictionary: Yaowa- "Term popularized by gifted Brooklyn lyricist Joell Ortiz, a sort of urban version of Fozzy Bear's "Wakka Wakka", meaning (according to Joe Budden) "absolutely nothing". Can be said after any humorous statement, or whenever the hell you feel like saying it."



For those who haven't heard of Joell Ortiz, I present to you the beast of the east, hailing from Brooklyn. The guy is SO nice. I have nothing but praise for the kid. He turned down both academic and basketball scholarships to stay home and care after his drug abusing mother. “My moms was getting high and I didn’t want to hear something happened to her,” he recalls, “she was my best friend.”



This is Joell's top single off his soon-to-be-released album, "Free Agent." I have no idea why this song hasn't blown up like "Best I Ever Had" did. Its so relatable.



Pure. Heart. A song means so much more to me when the artist is being real. Joell's great tribute to his Grandmother...



Last one. I could go on and on for Joell, but I wouldn't feel right ending a post on him without mentioning SLAUGHTERHOUSE, the Hip-Hop supergroup comprising of Joell, Joe Budden from Jersey, Royce da 5'9" from Detroit, and Crooked I from the West Coast. Soon to sign to Shady Records with Eminem. In my opinion, already one of the top 5 groups in the history of Hip-Hop and they've only been around a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment