Monday, May 23, 2011

My 10 Favorite Hip-Hop Artists: Part I, "Lupe Fiasco"



I feel like I owe something of a debt to Lupe Fiasco. He's the reason I got into hip-hop. Sure, growing up I had a few rap albums (Willenium, Nellyville, Snoop's R&G), but they never inspired me to listen intently, to decipher the meaning and marvel at how an artist's cadence and flow become another instrument intertwined with the beat.

That was Lupe.

The day after my 16th Birthday, Lupe released his debut album Food & Liquor. Armed with a new iTunes gift card, I downloaded the album on a lark after reading User Reviews about how amazing it was. It didn't disappoint.

Lupe's second effort, The Cool, may be my favorite rap album of all time. I still play it from front-to-back without skipping (a sign of a true classic) at least once every other week. It was this album that really began to open me up to the true art hip-hop can offer its listeners. I became bewildered by the scenes the emcee could bring to life, using symbolism and metaphors that would make a high-school English teacher giddy.


Point-blank, Lupe is a nerd. He's super lyrical. His first hit was a skateboarding love story. He's proactive and takes a stand on real issues. When he raps about guns and drugs, he does so like a National reporter, not a faux 50 Cent. And he may be the first great rapper of a new generation.

You May Have Heard: Superstar - Lupe Fiasco


-------------------------------------------------------
(I had a lot of issues limiting the tracks to share with you, so I recruited 2 of the biggest Hip-Hop Heads I know, to offer up their personal favorites).

MFP's Required Listening: Album: Lupe Fiasco's The Cool.
Song: Kick, Push

Zack's Tracks: Hip Hop Saved My Life, Put You On Game, Gold Watch


Sid's Selections: Hurt Me Soul, Can You Let Me Know

No comments:

Post a Comment