Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My 10 Favorite Hip-Hop Artists: Part II, "Big Pun"


If I felt like I might've owed something to Lupe, I absolutely owe something to Pun. I remember the first time I heard him was on an Eazy-E mixtape I downloaded for a song with Biggie & Tupac. I was floored, not only with his talent, but that I had never even heard of him. I need to hear more. A trip to Newbury Comics supplied me with Pun's opus, Capital Punishment, the first CLASSIC Hip-Hop album I ever went to the store and purchased.

It made me realize I didn't know the first thing about the history of this genre. Whereas Rock'n'Roll celebrates its origins and older artists, rap is all about what's new and whose next. Older artists are often forgotten and disregarded for their experience rather than respected for it (How often do you hear a classic Pac joint on the radio? How often do you hear a new Drake song? I rest my case).

And so began a backwards search through classic albums that I continue to this day.

Like learning anything outside of the classroom, its on you to do the research. Discovering Pun inspired me to do my research. Capital Punishment led me to Big L, who led me to Q-Tip & KRS-One, and the deep cuts that go beyond the hits of BIG and Pac.

Now to praise Pun himself. He's one of the best lyricists ever, without making his lyrics complex for complexity's sake. His use of multisyllabic rhymes was unparalleled. His flow is one for the ages. Pun could write songs for all occasions: Songs For the Ladies, Club Bangers, Lyrical Exposés and Gangster Tracks for the Streets.

Point blank: I think he's the best to ever do it. So thank you, Pun. You left far too soon.

You May Have Heard: Still Not A Player – Big Pun

-------------------------------------------------------

(I had a lot of issues limiting the tracks to share with you, so I recruited 2 of the biggest Hip-Hop Heads I know, to offer up their personal favorites).

MFP's Required Listening: Album: Capital Punishment

Song: Twinz (Feat. Fat Joe)

Zack's Tracks: Twinz (feat. Fat Joe), Dream Shatterer, Super Lyrical, Glamour Life

Sid's Selections:

No comments:

Post a Comment