Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Voice


So, I am in the process of putting together my 100 Songs of the Rock Era, as well as a Summertime Mixtape of hip-hop to mix into what will be Country and Rock Season for me. So before I have those ready for air, I want to share my thoughts on the new TV Series/Singing Competition, "The Voice." (Hit The Link To Watch on Hulu)

I think its AMAZING. Where "Idol" has been stale since the discovery of Carrie Underwood (When was that? I must have been 14 still...), The Voice brings something fresh to the table. They switch up the format in a way that benefits the show greatly.

If you're terrible- you're not getting on TV for the judges to mock you, America to laugh at you and FOX to make money off you. Right off the bat, the contestants are obviously stronger and come from more walks of life than "Idol" would ever be looking for.

Next, the judges double as vocal coaches-- that is, they're competing in this too; looking for
the strongest contestants and then offering their expertise to nurture them into stronger
vocalists. Did I mention the judges are 4 of the biggest and most entertaining singers today? Christina Aguilera, Cee-Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton are all amazing singers, each who can offer something unique to their team.

Also, coaches are choosing their teams with their backs to the stage -- going solely off the voice. A competition that prioritizes vocal talent over looks? How Refreshing!

Oh and Carson Daly is back as the host. Where's he been? I love that guy!

It'll be interesting to see where the show goes once the teams are built and the coaches get involved 1-on-1, but I have high hopes.

(I've included clips of my 3 favorite performances from the premiere episode.)



No comments:

Post a Comment