Friday, March 25, 2011

I Don't Like Adam Jones


Adam Jones, a CF for the Baltimore Orioles (yeah, the team that hasn't been over .500 since I was 6) was recently featured in ESPN The Magazine's Scale of 1 To 10. The question asked, "How do you feel when you pay your taxes?" Now obviously, its understandable to answer with a low number, as none of us are enamored with the idea of having less money. Jones however, answered, "Three. If it went to a good cause, I'd be happy. But our tax money goes to lazy people who don't want to work."


(Cue Method Man voice)HOLD UP! Is this guy serious? YOU DON'T WORK! You get paid to play baseball for a living. Who are you to call out people below the poverty line? That you assume are all lazy people who don't work hard? And you think all taxes become welfare? That's the only thing the government spends money on? Not only that, you're not grateful to a country that allows you to make millions playing a game?

On A Brighter Note- I'm very proud of players like our own David Ortiz and Zach Randolph, players who appreciate their circumstances. Ortiz said, "Seve. At least here I see what they do with my millions. In the DR, you don't know where the money goes." Randolph, a PF/C for the Memphis Grizzlies answered, "Ten. I feel up and down about it, but ultimately it feels good to give back to the country."

Now, I'm not opposed to Jones's feelings or ratings. I am opposed to the ignorance of his statement, and the lifestyle he's taken for granted. I look forward to another season of looking down at Baltimore in the standings.

No comments:

Post a Comment