Thursday, March 3, 2011

Friday Grab-Bag

The Friday Grab-Bag is going up a day early because I have a busy Friday tomorrow and might not have the time to do a post. So this is like that expression "Christmas came early," except if your Christmas was really lame and only consisted of hearing 3 new songs...


"Battle Cry" - Joell Ortiz (Hip-Hop)

The Puerto Rican Quarter of the Slaughter recently released a great sophomore album Free Agent that won't get the kind of support it should, but it really is awesome. Joell Ortiz is bring NY Hip-Hop back in a major way. He has charisma, lyrics and flow, three essentials to be a truly great emcee. After seeing him live and through his videos, you get the vibe that he's a hardworking guy with a great attitude, sense of humor and is grateful for all the success he's achieved. Oh, and he's been co-signed by KRS-One, Nas, 50 Cent & Kanye. Kind of a big deal.



"Farmhouse"- Phish (Rock)

I have my sister to thank for introducing me to a great deal of music-- and one of the first groups she showed me was Phish. After listening to the numerous albums she owned, I understood why she traveled to see them perform live. It was real tough to pick just one song from them, but I went with "Farmhouse" mostly because of the catchy melody, slick guitar sound and its a good starting point for people who haven't listened to Phish before. So Jam on...




"Wilco (The Song)"- Wilco (Alternative)

Oh Wilco- you love me and I love you back. Wilco (The Song) from "Wilco (The Album)" by Wilco (The Band)? Brilliant. This album was released just after I graduated high school and I played it in my room a lot that summer (and in my truck when my company didn't complain about not knowing them...). Its such an upbeat track, and the album as a whole takes an optimistic tone about embracing the uncertainties that make up life-- and few times are as uncertain as that first few months after graduation.


2 comments:

  1. Dig. Its to bad she doesn't read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha- well...
    1. I'm the same way when I don't know whats playing so I don't blame them.
    2. I switched it off for multiple people, no dig intended.

    ReplyDelete