Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hip-Hop Thursday

I don't think anything bothers me more than people who think that (1) They know more than everyone else about a certain subject, (2) If something was released after year x it must suck, and (3) If an artist gains fan or recognition, they sold out/aren't as good and then proceed to stop supporting. That means you HIPSTERS. You bother me. I bring this up on Hip-Hop Thursday because some people assume that any rap released after 1999 is terrible, without bothering to give a listen. The thought process is totally illogical to me-- why is good music relegated to only one era of time? Particularly one as short as a decade? I'm constantly finding new artists I had never heard- and never would hear without an open mindset. Which brings me to todays edition of the MFP Song of the Day:


"Bigger Than Life (feat. June Summers)"-- Nipsey Hussle

I first heard Nipsey during the 2009 BET Cyphers. He was on with Wale and KRS-One. And I have to admit- going only off the Cypher- I didn't think he was much more than a Snoop wannabe. But I hate to pass judgement on a sample size as small as 12 Bars, particularly one where you're being overshadowed by a LEGEND like KRS. So, I ventured out into the abyss of the Internet looking for further evidence. I returned enlightened, having learned there was much more to Nipsey Hussle than a laid back flow and cornrows. He has talent, strong storytelling ability and lyrically underrated. This song is a hidden track at the end of his most recent mixtape, The Marathon, and its the type of music I can get behind. Proof you never know what an artist has to offer until you give them a chance.

Tip of the Day: Keep an Open Mind & Try Something New Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment