Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Grab-Bag


"Say G & E!" -- Grouch & Eligh of Living Legends.

Another Album I purchased on a whim a couple years ago. I heard a preview of the first single on iTunes and immediately pre-ordered the entire album. Grouch and Eligh are two underground artists (I assume, as I've never met anyone whose heard of this album) who run with the likes of Murs and Aesop Rock as members of Living Legends. Eligh leads the production team, resulting in an album that sounds simply put, beautiful. He and the Grouch are also great lyricists, lying positive rhymes throughout this LP. My fingers are crossed that the duo team up again in the future.


"My Number"-- Tegan & Sara.

Can't say I exactly remember when I first heard Tegan & Sara, but I do remember this is the first song I heard from them (like Say G&E with Grouch&Eligh). Though their music is impressive, they never really topped this one for me- as it remains a personal favorite. Lines like "Its a silly time to learn to swim when you start to drown, its a silly time to learn to swim on the way down," show off the duo's penchant for song writing. The life they give the song coupled with the great writing really does take this track to another level, for me anyways.



"Belle/Banana Pancakes"

Jack Johnson's live album En Concert has only intensified my desire to see him play one day. I love the opening combination of Belle, a song spoken in 5 different languages and backed by romantic sound of the accordion that conjure images of a gondola ride, and Banana Pancakes, the simple and sweet rainy day love song that perfectly captures wide-eyed infatuation. Both originated on the In Between Dreams album that introduced me to Jack some 6 years ago.

Bonus Fact: Belle is supposedly written as an ode to his wife, who can speak the 5 languages featured (Can You Guess them and what order they're in?).

No comments:

Post a Comment