Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wild West Wednesday


"Lonely At The Top," -- Jamey Johnson

I have to admit I slept on Jamey Johnson's The Guitar Song really hard last year. One of the best reviewed albums of the year and I didn't even give it a listen. Just never really got around to it. All I can say is "Ooops." I can see where all the high praise came from. Johnson is a supreme songwriter, and on this album he served up a little bit of everything--from acoustic confessions to bleeding electric blues and covers to comedic riots. This is the opening number to the 25-song double-disc release, and its really just scratching the surface of what the album has to offer. It also illustrates the great songwriting to come, with lines like, "It may be lonely at the top, but its a bitch at the bottom." Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment