Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Alternative Tuesday


Who knows what Alternative Tuesdays may bring us. So much music is categorized as "Alternative" that it basically comprises of all the music we're too lazy to better analyze and describe. Regardless, I hope to share with you a few gems from my collection that get shuffled by when I allow my friends to DJ while I drive.

"Diamonds on the Inside" - Ben Harper
Ben Harper and Ben Folds were the first non-main stream artists I ever got into. I must thank my sister for doing so because their albums "Diamonds on the Inside" and "Rocking the Suburbs" (respectively) remain two of my favorite pieces of work ever. So for the first Alternative Tuesday, I share with you the title track off my first Ben Harper CD.

Ben's music is a mix of rock, reggae, folk and blues. He has the uncanny ability to play any instrument he wants, while also exhibiting superb song-writing abilities. "Diamonds on the Inside," illustrates this, with lines like;
When you have everything,
You Have everything to lose.

A candle throws its lights into the darkness,
In a nasty world so shines a goos deed,
Make sure the fortune that you seek,
Is the fortune that you need,
Tell me why the first to ask,
Is the last to give every time.

That's just great song-writing. Enough talk- enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment