Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscars! (Part I) - My Snubs



I absolutely love the Oscars and all the buzz that leads up to them. They inspire the December-Rush, when the studios push out their best films instead of the regular crap.



This is also the first year for which i have seen all of the Best Picture nominees before the awards,which was harder to do with the recent expansion to 10 Nominees. And I must admit, they were all awesome in their own rights. I'll run threw them, as well as my personal picks and the snubs I was most peeved by.

You Can Find A Full List Of All The Nominees Here.

My Snubs

I want to get these out of the way so this post's tone stays light.

Waiting For Superman was the best documentary I saw over the past year, and I saw 4 of the 5 nominees, so I feel with some certainty I can say this was a snub. As was Shine, the original song by John Legend & The Roots written for the same doc.




Ryan Gosling was my biggest snub of the year, who should have gotten a nod for Blue Valentine with his co-star Michelle Williams. I thought he was the true rival to Colin Firth this year.





Most people have argued for Andrew Garfield being snubbed for The Social Network, but I'm just not buying it-- I can't in good conscious take any of the Supporting-Actor-Nominees out for him to have a spot.


Christopher Nolan was a huge snub for me-- I get the sense the Academy just doesn't like him at this point. His track record is pure gold (Batman Franchise, Memento, Prestige), and he has the uncanny ability to serve up a blockbuster that is also a great film. I'm mystified at this
point as to what he actually has to do to get a nod.

I would have liked to see The Town, Another Year or Blue Valentine make the cut over 127 Hours, but had there been only 5 nominees like in past years, I wouldn't argue either to have been snubbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment