Monday, February 21, 2011

Classic Monday


Our first Classic Monday is upon us, and while I could share Classical Music for about 2 posts , I won't put you through that. Classic Mondays are reserved for Classic Rock and R&B. Maybe some Mo-Town will show up, and hopefully we never see any Disco (outside of the Bee Gees). Without further ado, Classic Mondays start now.

"Oh Darling!" - The Beatles.
It didn't feel right for me to start a series dedicated to Classic Rock/R&B with anyone else. I'd be surprised if I go more than 2 days in a row without putting on a Beatles song. They take up the largest chunk of my iPod, and its not even close; 291 songs across 14 albums, plus 4 more compilation albums of old versions of songs, as well as the "1" album with their 27 number one hits that introduced me to them back at the age of 9.
Oh Darling! was originally released back in '69 on the "Abbey Road" album, the only Beatles album I own on vinyl. Paul absolutely rips it up, delivering vocals that took him a week to get right. Paul came in to the studio early everyday to sing it by himself until he got it where he wanted it to be-- sounding as though he had been performing on stage all week. He only tried once a day, until he got the cut he wanted. John believed he would have performed the song better, believing it to be more in his range and that Paul did a horrible job-- but I give the edge to Paul on this one. Its raw and emotional, and he absolutely nailed it.




(By the way, my favorite classical pieces are Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007: I. Prélude and Chopin's Nocturne in E-flat Major, opus 9 no.2, Piano Solo, in case you were curious)

No comments:

Post a Comment