Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grammy Bullshit/Welcome Back

Yeah Beibs and Jaden, that was my reaction pretty much every time they presented an "award."



First off- Hello to Those Followers I had out there. I am back on the scene like Slaughterhouse (http://youtu.be/scqzEgzKLmg). The awards themselves, well I'll just say I disagreed with more than a few selections. Among those nominated, I'd have to say: The Best Rap Album was probably by the Roots. The Best Country Album was probably by Zac Brown Band or Miranda Lambert. The Best Album was by Lady Gaga. The Best Record was by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys... and thats just off the top of my head and with some clear thought.

Now a lighter note-my personal awards on Grammy Night:


Best Wardrobe: Despite stiff competition from normal fashion queens Gaga and Nicki, this easily goes to Mr. Cee-Lo Green, with an outfit inspired by puppets that would make Jim Henson proud. It was like something I'd expect to see Elton John wear on Sesame Street. Needless to say- I want one.


Best Shout Out: (Tie) Cheap that I can just do a tie whenever I don't want to make a decision huh? Well I found
it hard to decide between Lady Gaga telling Whitney Houston that "Born This Way," was written with her in mind- Whitney being a True Superstar that Gaga doesn't believe she is, and Muses' Matt Bellamy giving "Special thanks to my beautiful pregnant girlfriend over there." That's how you earn brownie points my friends.




Best Introduction: Some of you might be expecting me to say Dr. Dre, just because of Eminem's performance building up to it, but I have to go with Miranda Lambert being introduced by her very talented fiancée Blake Shelton, who set the stage with "When I say I love this next performer, what I mean is, I love this next performer. Pretty cute I have to admit-- plus she gets extra points for being screwed out of best Song, Country Song, and Country Album... but I digress.


Best Charisma: I thought this was going to Eminem after he gave it everything he had in "I Need A Doctor," but then Mick Jagger walked out. As Kanye tweeted, "Mick Jagger is crazy fresh!!! " I'm not completely sure what that means, but I totally agree. He controlled that crowd with ease. He knew what he wanted to do, knew he was doing it during the performance, and once it was done his look said- "Yeah, I still rock harder than all of you half my age." Unreal. Go on with your bad self, Mick Swagger.


Best Artist New To Me: Let me just explain this category real quick. This award is going to the artist I didn't know when the night started, but upon hearing them perform, have been inspired to search out some new tunes for the iPod. Therefore, while Drake is in the "Best New Artist" category, he doesn't fit this one. Its going to Mumford and Sons. They opened for Dylan, and they fucking rocked. I loved them. I've gotten my grubby little mitts
onto their album "Sigh No More," and thus far I'm feeling it big time. Can't wait to play through the whole thing tonight.




Best Performance: My final award is a toughie. My finalists are Mick Jagger, Miranda Lambert, Bobby Bruno & Jannelle, Cee-Lo Green & Gwenyth Paltrow, and the Dylan / Mumford / Avett Bros Jam. Jagger had more energy than everyone. Bobby Ray Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae were the best young talent of the night. Miranda's performance made me wanna tear up. Dylan & Co. proved that no matter what people tell me, folk/jam bands are definitely cool. But it was Cee-Lo and the puppets that had my eyes glued to the screen. I just couldn't look away. And come on, "The Song Otherwise Known As 'Forget You'" is just an awesome title. Everything about the performance was as fun as the song itself-- the costumes, the Muppets, the interplay between Gwenyth Paltrow & that Bird playing the Piano all made for an All-Time Grammy performance that would made Elton John and Kermit the Frog proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment